Sunday 17 January 2010

We are family...

Written to: What's My Age Again? - Blink 182

Before I properly begin to talk about today's events I'll give you a bit of history. My nan was 82 on Thursday, one of NINE who barely speaks to her family due to on-going grudges and rows that never got sorted. Plus they all had too much pride to swallow, pick up the phone and ask how they were. Because of this, there is a huge part of my life that I don't know about.

Today two of my mum's cousins came over as part of a surprise gathering for my nan and it was amazing to hear their stories. There are Irish connections in my family, apparently a great aunt even married a Romany gypsy. Loads of my mum's cousins and they're kids live around Essex, some in the towns I visit regularly, or ones that are next to us.

My nan was one of the youngest, born in 1928. The mothers of these cousins (her sisters) were born in 1911 and 1912 (nearly 100 years ago!), so they were the same age as my nan rather than my mum. This is strange for me as my closest cousins are around my age, not my mum's!

It's incredible that I could have met, served, been served, walked past any of these people over the past 21 years and never known who they are. Part of me is angry for my nan to have not kept in touch with people, but I'm glad I have the rest of my life to meet them.

We're gathering data now so my mum can create a family tree. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment